Press Flowers and Leaves!
Pressing Flowers is a wonderful activity that let’s you be creative with what you have on hand! All you need to get started is a heavy book, wax paper or parchment paper, and flowers or leaves!
Gather your supplies:
- For beautiful flowers, gather clean flowers free of spots or blemishes. Collecting them on a sunny day when they are not wet from rain or dew makes a clear pressing!
- Place the flower face down in a heavy book lined with parchment paper. The parchment paper will prevent natural inks from staining your book.
- Close the book, weigh it down, and leave undisturbed for 7 to 10 days
Spring is wildflower season in Buda, TX with a lot of options for flowers! Check out the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center page to see what flowers you might see blooming in your area! Try to identify which flowers you are pressing!
You can press many items at once using just one book! It’s always good to gather more flowers and leaves than you think you need so you have a lot of options when you create with them!
What to do with finished press flowers
There are so many activities that you can use dry flowers for! You can arrange them on a piece of paper and use white glue to press them down. You can arrange them to look natural or into fun shapes! If you checkout the Hobbies and Crafts Resource Center through our databases, there are a lot of fun options like pressing flowers into sun catchers, creating Pressed flower jewelry, making greeting cards and more!
How to find Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center:
- Sign into the Buda Library Catalog with your library card and phone number.
- Click on TexShare Databases under the Electronic Resources section.
- Then click Resources A-Z at the top of the page.
- Scroll down and find Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center.
Use the Basic search
From the homepage, type “pressed flowers” into the search bar and click search. Discover all the possibilities!
Share your project with us! We’d love to see what you have been up to! Share an image of your project at our Facebook page, our Twitter, or our Instagram. Not on social media? E-mail Caitlin at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org!