Youth Programming Strategic Plan
The Youth Programming Strategic Plan is a separate document from the Long Range Plan. It provides more specific goals, objectives, and analyses for programming for children from birth through high school aged.
The mission of the Buda Public Library is to improve the quality of life for all residents of the community by providing resources and services that enhance their access to education, enjoyment, and lifelong learning through library materials, services, programs, and online access.
Vision: Connect with the world at the Buda Public Library.
IntroductionThe Buda Public Library, nestled in the heart of downtown Buda, is part of a rapidly growing community. Buda’s most recent city population estimate is almost 12,000. The most recent estimate for the 78610 zip code is 23,502. In five years, Buda’s city population is estimated to be 19,443 with the 78610 zip code increasing to 44,654. As the City of Buda grows, so does the need for quality services. In November of 2014 the citizenry of Buda voted in favor of a municipal bond that will fund a new state-of-the-art library designed to meet the needs of an expanding community. The Buda Public Library strives to provide resources and services that enhance and enrich the citizenry of Buda. We also value our part in promoting literacy by providing quality programs and materials for the youth of our community.
This five year strategic plan looks specifically at the services the Library currently offers to the youth of our community and the services patrons would like to see offered. It also considers the staff required to manage youth services effectively. Early in the process, we solicited community input by asking patrons to complete a survey. There were 280 responses that provided valuable data to analyze. We also looked at libraries that either serve a comparable population of where we see ourselves in the next 5 years or offer youth services that we find inspirational.
CURRENT YOUTH SERVICES
General Library Services
Books – print and digital Magazines
Audio books – in library and downloadable Readers’ advisory
Databases Public computers
Toddler Storytime Preschool Storytime
Family Storytime (evening) Homeschool Storytime
Homeschool Teen Group (teens and tweens) Bilingual Storytime
Valentines and Holiday Extravaganzas Dia de los Niños
Boo-da Halloween Teen Tech Week
International Game Day
Summer Kick-off Celebration Teen Kick-off Party
Summer Reading Club (newborns through high school)
At least 6 age-specific enrichment programs per week
Various special programs Reading Club Award Ceremonies (3)
During fiscal year 2013-2014 the Buda Public Library offered 273 youth programs and attracted 9,863 attendees. Many of these events provide volunteer opportunities for high school students, as they facilitate craft stations and assist staff with preparing craft materials. The Buda Public Library offers many programs considering its staff and building size.
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM SURVEY
The survey results clearly show that the community would like the library to continue providing quality youth programming and would like us to begin offering additional programming to students, especially kindergarten through fifth grade students and middle school students. Programs suggested were:
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) focused activities
- Book clubs
- Arts and crafts
- Volunteer opportunities for teens
The ultimate goal is to have weekly activities for each age group, toddlers through middle school students. These goals and objectives will start the library in moving to achieve this.
PRIMARY PROGRAMMING GOALS
Goal: Youth will have access to activities which will aid in their literary development.
- Third through fifth grade students will have a monthly book club beginning June 2016.
- Sixth through eighth grade students will have a monthly book club beginning June 2016.
- Ninth through twelfth grade students will have a summer book club beginning June of 2016.
Goal: Youth will have access to activities which promote an interest and understanding in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math).
- Three through five year old children will have a monthly STEM storytime by September 2016.
- Kindergarten through second grade students will be offered 5 STEM programs per year beginning September 2017.
- Third through fifth grade students will be offered 5 STEM programs per year beginning September 2018.
- Sixth through twelfth grade students will be offered 3 STEM programs per year by September 2019.
Goal: Students will have access to activities which will aid in their creative development.
- Kindergarten through second grade students will be offered 5 arts and crafts programs per year September 2016.
- Third through fifth grade students will be offered 5 arts and crafts programs per year beginning September 2016.
- Sixth through eighth grade students will be offered 3 arts and crafts programs per year by September 2018.
Goal: Teens will have opportunities to develop leadership skills
- Create a Teen Advisory Board that meets once per month to discuss teen initiatives beginning fiscal year 2018.
- Strengthen relationships with local high schools to promote volunteer opportunities beginning fiscal year 2017.
- Develop partnerships with high school honor students to plan and implement special programming for elementary and middle school students beginning fiscal year 2019.
The Buda Public Library currently has five full time employees and one part time employee:
- Library Director
- Assistant Director/Children’s Librarian
- Administrative Assistant
- Circulation Coordinator
- Circulation Clerk
- Circulation Clerk (part time)
The Assistant Director/Children’s Librarian is devoted nearly full-time to program development and implementation. Two staff members plan and present programs weekly. An additional two staff members plan and present several programs yearly.
Developing a workforce of energetic individuals who enjoy working with youth ensures that the library’s youth service goals become reality, and that the youth of our community will have an opportunity to attend educational and creative programs at the Buda Public Library.
Goal: Manage and expand the library’s youth services workforce to focus on the need to align staffing with the goals and objectives of youth services.
- Assistant Director will begin to delegate the number of programs personally presented and will assume more of a supervisory role in managing youth services.
- Hire a full time, well-qualified and high performing Youth Coordinator whose primary responsibility is to plan and implement programs for elementary aged children and teens.
- Hire two additional full-time library assistants to assist with the planning and implementation of programs and other library services.
Over the next five years, the Buda Public Library will see many exciting and positives changes as we move forward into our new spacious facility. One constant will be the need for the Library to continue to provide educational programs and dynamic services for the youth of our community that are in line with the Library’s goals and the community’s expectations. Growing an educated and high performing workforce will ensure that the library continues to be a place where our youth can explore and experience lifelong learning opportunities.
Recommended for approval by the Library Commission on May 14th, 2015
Approved by City Council on June 2nd, 2015
Download the plan and background information.