- You Are Here:
- Research & Explore
- Kindle Devices
Use these instructions to use OverDrive with your Kindle e-reader.
If you have a Kindle Fire tablet see the Application Based Devices page for instructions.
Get Started With OverDrive
Make sure that Amazon is already set up to send books to your Kindle. If you have bought any books from Amazon for your Kindle, this is already done. Visit this website for assistance with setting up and connecting your Kindle.
Searching with OverDrive
- Search through the Buda Public Library's catalog.
- Search through the Central Texas Digital Library (CTDL) catalog.
- Search through the Libby app. (See the Application Based Devices OverDrive Instructions for how to use OverDrive this way.)
Through the Buda Public Library’s catalog
- Go to buda.biblionix.com
- Sign in to the catalog with your card number and phone number.
- Search for an item, just like you would search for a physical item.
- If the item is in OverDrive, it will say ~OverDrive in the Location column and OverDrive eBook/Audiobook before the title.
- Click on the title to bring up the record.
- Click “Download this item”. That will take you to the CTDL page for that item.
After you sign into your account, scroll down the Buda Library catalog homepage and click the OverDrive link under "Electronic Resources" to go to the CTDL catalog.
Through the Central Texas Digital Library (CTDL) catalog
- Go to ctdl.overdrive.com and sign in.
- Sign in by selecting "Buda Public Library" and entering your library card number and your ten-digit phone number.
- You can search for an item by keyword or browse by format and subject using the Search/ Advanced menus.
Having trouble finding items that are available for check out? Use the Advanced Search function to limit results to only what is available for checkout. Click on “Advanced” (first click on "Search" then it's to the right of the keyword search box). In Advanced Search under Availability choose either "Available now" or "Coming soon". You can do this while searching by keyword or by format (Kindle Book).
Checking Out OverDrive Materials
If you do not stay signed into your Amazon account:
- Open another tab or window and go to www.amazon.com.
- Sign into your Amazon account.
- Make sure your Kindle is connected to a wireless internet connection.
- Go back to the tab that has the OverDrive website/CTDL catalog open.
- Next to your desired item on OverDrive, click the "Borrow" button.
- From there, you may continue browsing or go to checkout. You can have 5 items out at one time.
- When you’re ready to download the item(s), go to "My Account" near the top right of the CTDL homepage.
- Click "Loans”.
- Next to your selected title, click “Read now with Kindle”.
- This will take you to the Amazon website.
- In the box on the right side of the screen, make sure your Kindle is selected under “Deliver to:”.
- Press the “Get library book” button.
Important to note:
Some books require that your Kindle be connected to a computer to get the ebook. These books say “Kindle devices via USB only” under the Kindle icon. You’ll need a USB cable to connect your Kindle to a computer to get these books.
- Check out the ebook as usual.
- Click the “Get for Kindle” button to start the download.
- In the green box on the right side of the screen, under “Deliver to:” make sure “Transfer via computer” is selected.
- Click “Get library book”.
- On the next screen, choose your Kindle and click "Continue".
- Hover over “My Account” on the upper-right side of the screen.
- Click on “Manage Your Kindle”.
- Verify that the title you've just checked out is listed under 'Your Kindle Library'.
- On your Kindle, open the Kindle Reading App.
- You'll find the library title under Archive. You may need to use the Sync button to make the title appear.
- Tap the title you want to read to download it to the device, just like any other Kindle Book.
- 5 items can be checked out on an account
- 3 items can be reserved
- eBooks check out for 14 days.
- There are no renewals. If your check out time is up, the item will return to the library. If no one else has reserved it, you may check it out and download it again.
Return eBooks Early
If you finish early with an item you have checked out, you can return it. This will help speed up the holds list and allow you to check out more items.
- Go to www.amazon.com and sign in to your Amazon account.
- Hover over “Your Account” on the upper-right side of the screen.
- Click on “Content and Devices”.
- Next, click "Books".
- Find the title of the ebook that you want to return early.
- Select “Return this book”.
- Amazon will prompt you to verify this action. Select "Return This Book".
OverDrive updates its website and apps frequently. If these instructions are no longer accurate, please let the library staff know.