Application Based Devices
If you are using OverDrive with a device that uses apps, use these instructions.
Get Started With OverDrive
Note: OverDrive has discontinued the app for all BlackBerry and Playbook devices. Devices already loaded with OverDrive will continue to work, but there will be no updates or fixes for BlackBerry or Playbook devices.
You Will Need To
- Download the OverDrive Media Console App from your device’s app store (Apple App store, Google Play, Nook Apps, Amazon Apps for Android).
Download the Overdrive Media Console App
- On your device, go to the relevant app store.
- Search for OverDrive Media Console.
- Select the OverDrive Media Console – Library eBooks and Audiobooks.
- Install the app.
Using the App the First Time
- Open the app
- Create an OverDrive account.
- Click the “Get Books+” button in the top right corner
- Click “Add a Website”
- Type Buda or 78610 in the search box
- Select Buda Public Library. It will be added to your “Get Books” page.
- Select “Central Texas Digital Library” from “Get Books”
- Click the “Login” link (in the peach bar at the top of the page)
- At the bottom of the page, open the [select library] list
- Select “Buda Public Library” from the list
- Scroll to the bottom of the page
- Sign in with your card number and phone number.
Searching with OverDrive
Note: Many tablets and phones will not download WMA audio books through the app. You can download it into the OverDrive Media Console on a computer running Windows and then transfer it to many devices. See the General OverDrive Instructions for how to use OverDrive this way.
There are Several Ways to Search for Materials
- Search through the Buda Public Library’s catalog
- Search through the Central Texas Digital Library (CTDL) catalog
- Search through the App.
Through the Buda Public Library’s Catalog
- Sign in to the catalog with your card number and phone number
- Search for an item, just like you would search for a physical item.
- If the item is in OverDrive, it will say _OverDrive in the Location column and OverDrive eBook/eAudioBook/Music/Video before the title.
- Click on the title to bring up the record.
- Click “Download this item”. That will take you to the CTDL page for that item.
Through the CTDL Catalog
- Go to ctdl.lib.overdrive.com and sign in with your card number and phone number.
- You can search for an item by keyword or browse by format and subject using the menus on the left column.
Through the App
- Select the OverDrive Media Console.
- Select “Get Books+”
- Select “Central Texas Digital Library”
- Log in to your account.
- You can search for an item by keyword or select the “Browse” icon to browse by format or subject.
Having trouble finding items that are available for check out? Use the Advanced Search function to limit results to only what is available for checkout. Click on “Advanced Search” (to the right of the keyword search box) and click the box next to “Only show titles with copies available”. You can do this while searching by keyword or by format (EPUB or PDF).
Checking Out OverDrive Materials
Reserve a title: If an item is currently checked out, you can reserve it. Click the “Place a Reserve” link and enter your email address. OverDrive will email you when the item is available. You will have three days to return to the OverDrive site to download it. Get it by clicking on “My Account” across from the search field on the right side. Next, click “Holds”. You can check out the item from there.
- Click the “Borrow” button. From there, you may continue browsing or go to checkout. You can have 5 items out at one time.
- When you’re ready to download the items, go to your bookshelf.
- Next, click the “Download” button, select which format (usually EPUB), and press the "Confirm & Download" button.
- To use the item, go to your OverDrive Bookshelf and select the item.
- 5 items can be checked out on an account
- 3 items can be reserved
- All items are checked out for 14 days.
- There are no renewals. If your check out time is up, the item will return to the library. If no one else has reserved it, you may check it out and download it again.
Returning Items Early
If you finish with an item you have checked out early, you can return it. This will help speed up holds list and also allow you to check out more items.
- In the OverDrive App, go to the Bookshelf.
- Hold your finger down on the title you want to return.
- Click the “Return” button.
- Click the “Return then Delete” button.
OverDrive updates its website and apps often. If these instructions are no longer accurate, please let the library staff know.